SEO Techniques for Websites
Today we will learn What is SEO and How you can improve the visibility and traffic of your website through some of the HTML tags and other techniques.
What is SEO?
SEO means Search Engine Optimization.SEO is the set of guidelines that makes your website appear on the top result in the google search results.
Let’s learn some of the HTML tags which is useful for SEO.
HTML tags are a set of elements in HTML that tells the crawler what your content is about.
- Title tag: The <title> tag appears in the <head></head> section of the webpage.It tells the search engine what is the subject of the webpage content. It helps the crawler to understand what your content is about.
The title in the search result looks like the above image.
<title>Title of your webpage</title>
2. Meta tags: Meta tags appears in the <head></head> section of the webpage. Add a small description of the webpage in meta tags. Meta tags description also appears in the search result along with a title. Use rich quality keywords which are generally used by searchers and properly describes your page. The keywords in the search query will be bold. Meta tags appear below the title of the page like shown in the image below:
<meta name="description" content="Description of your webpage">
3. Header tags: Different header tags are h1, h2, h3, etc are used to structure your webpage for both readers and search engines. h1 tags are usually used for page title/headings and h2 tags are used as subheadings.
4. Alt text: This is used for image optimization. It helps to improve your webpage ranking through image content.
<img src="flutter.jpg" alt="Learn Flutter Tutorial">
It helps search engines to describe what your image is about.
5. Canonical tag: Canonical tags avoid the duplicate content issue. Sometimes it happens that your content is published elsewhere. To avoid duplicate content penalty and to guide crawlers on which pages are main pages, use canonical tags.
<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.example.com">
Now it’s time to understand other techniques of SEO.
robots.txt: This tiny robots.txt file tells search engines which pages to crawl and which pages to not crawl. Search engine checks this file before visiting your website. If your site does not have this file then create one. If you want to see this file, type any base URL of the website and append /robots.txt text.
The skeleton of this file is like below:
Here, User-agent: * means this file applies to all search engines that visit your site. Allow: / means visit all pages on this site.
Crawling all pages of your site takes time. If your site has lots of web pages then it negatively affects your ranking. So, sometimes if you want to exclude some of the pages from being crawled at that time, you can use the below structure of the file.
sitemap.xml: This file is also useful to boost your website SEO. It contains all the webpage URLs of your site. This file is important if you have,
- So many web pages on your site.
- You are frequently adding pages to your site.
- You are frequently updating your webpage contents.
Example of sitemap.xml:
<urlset xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9 http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9/sitemap.xsd"><loc>https://www.example.com/</loc><changefreq>daily</changefreq><priority>1.00</priority></url></urlset>
If you have any queries then comment here. If you like my blog then please like it.